There’s no way around it; we live in a city where people come here to have a good time. Unfortunately for drivers, that means one of the most dangerous things you can do in Las Vegas is simply getting in your vehicle and driving from point A to point B. In fact, we have one of the highest automobile accident rates in the country, and statistically, a somewhere around 30 people a month die in traffic accidents in Nevada.
One of the biggest contributing factors to vehicle accidents in Las Vegas is impaired drivers; now, with dispensaries popping up on every corner, the problem is only going to get worse. In fact, almost a third of traffic deaths in the city are caused by drivers who were driving under the influence and somewhere around 40% of all accidents in the city involve a drunk driver.
What should you do if you suspect the driver who hit you is driving under the influence?
With the alarming rise of prescription drug abuse, and what seems like a new dispensary opening in Las Vegas almost weekly, officers sometimes have a hard time making DUI arrests. If you suspect you were hit by someone who was driving under the influence of a controlled substance, but that person was not arrested, you still may have legal options that a good attorney can help you with. That being said, there are a few things that you need to do to ensure a favorable settlement.
- Take pictures and document everything you can.
- If you notice the perpetrator is impaired, make detailed notes on what you see. Slurred speech, glassy eyes, and unsteady balance should all be noted.
- A good lawyer may be able to pull medical records proving the driver was taking prescription medications; if you hear or see anything make sure you discuss it with your attorney.
It Starts with Good Car Insurance!
One of the best ways to protect yourself and those you love is to make sure your automobile insurance is rock solid. The horror stories you will hear in this town are horrendous; it’s not uncommon to see people stuck or sued for tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars after a car accident.
Unfortunately, that means you are probably going to have to pay up. Car insurance is already expensive in Las Vegas, but with accident rates soaring they are only going to get worse. That being said, you want to purchase the highest amount of auto insurance you can afford. Skimp out now, and there’s not a lot your lawyer is going to be able to do, even if you’re not the one at fault!
Make sure your driving skills are up-to-date!
I hate to say it, but I’ve never lived in a city with so many people that just suck at driving. Throw in a rare rainstorm here in the desert, and you have yourself a recipe for a never-ending day of accidents throughout the valley. So, the next time you are heading out to the I-15, 95 or 215, make sure you’re not part of the problem!
- Make sure your vehicle maintenance is up-to-date: Inspect your tires, do regular battery checks, tire rotations, and oil changes. Breaking down on the side of the I-15 is not only inconvenient, but it can also be dangerous or downright deadly.
- Have a roadside vehicle kit: Every driver should have a good roadside vehicle kit in their trunk. It should include a flashlight, road flares, jumper cables, a car jack, and repair tools. You might want to also throw in a spare phone charger and other safety-related items.
- Have your Attorneys Phone Number Handy! There’s just now way around it, even the best drivers in the world are at risk once they hit the roads in Las Vegas. If the worse should happen, make sure you have a good attorney ahead of time.
- Buckle Up! This is one that shouldn’t have to be said, but sadly it’s still one of the top reasons someone is injured or killed during an auto accident. Also, if you are driving with children, please make sure their safety seats are properly installed. Every fire department in Las Vegas will perform a free safety seat inspection, so if you are a first-time parent use this service to make sure your seat is properly installed.
The Top Accident Attorney in Las Vegas
In 2018, a local personal injury lawyer was arrested for stealing approximately $1.8 million of his clients’ money — financial settlements that were intended to cover the victims’ medical bills. He used the money to fund his gambling habits. It’s stories like this that make it even more important to do your research and find a good personal injury lawyer who can represent you honestly and ethically, while getting the best settlement possible.
The Top Personal Injury Lawyers and Accident Attorneys in Las Vegas
Naqvi Injury Law
Specialty: Personal Injury Law
9500 W Flamingo Rd. Ste 104
Naqvi Injury Law was the Gold Winner in the Best of Las Vegas in 2017. Farhan Naqvi is a former insurance defense lawyer, and his firm focuses only on Personal Injury and car accident cases. Naqvi has handled over 4000 cases and has never lost a jury trial.
Robert Sidell Injury Attorney
Specialty: Personal Injury
3415 W Charleston Blvd.
Based on reviews, Robert Sidell is one of the top lawyers in the city. They handle everything from auto and motorcycle accidents to pedestrian accidents and wrongful death cases. Sidell also hosts a popular radio talk show, “Success and the Law” on 840AM KXNT Las Vegas.
Adam S. Kutner & Associates
Specialty: Personal Injury Attorney
137 S Rancho Dr #150A
Adam S. Kutner has been serving Las Vegas locals for over 27 years. He is one of the top 100 trial lawyers in the country and won the 2016 Client Satisfaction Award from the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys.
Richard Harris Law Firm
Specialty: Motor Vehicle Accidents
801 S 4th St.
Richard Harris started here in Las Vegas almost 40 years ago as a one-man operation and has since grown to one of the largest law firms in the valley. His firms does everything firm medical malpractice cases to auto and even aviation related accidents.
Some other notable local law firms:
- Edward M Bernstein & Associates – (702) 240-0000
- Benson & Bingham – (702) 384-3847
- Shook & Stone – (702) 570-0000